Here is a story started by students from Italy, continued by Swedish students and ended by Portugese students. This is a part of a Comenius EU school project called Cultural Heritage In a Changing Europe, supported by the International Programme office
The Italian story.
They decided to have a journey after their a levels. They all passed their exams. The Swedish and Portuguese friends came to Italy and met the Italians at the airport of Rome. There they had a discussion about the countries and places to visit.
Amalia: ”I’ve never been to France but I’d love to visit Paris!”
Francesco:” No, I’ve already been there! It’s a big and nice city but it’s quite boring!”
Ulrika: ”Why don’t we go to the seaside? It’s summer and there must be a lot of people at the seaside!”
Aakan: ”I’ve heard the sea of Greece is beautiful. And what is more there are al lot of clubs and discos so we’ll enjoy our night!”
Everyone agrees so they started to look for a cheap flight. They found a plane, which left at 12:00. But unfortunately their plane was delayed. It would leave at 16:00. So they had lunch in the centre of the city. Ulrika wanted to go shopping even if Francesco didn’t agree because he thought there wasn’t enough time. In fact they didn’t know the roman streets very well and got lost. They arrived at the airport at 16:30 missing the plane.
They managed to arrive in Greece by plane at 21:00. Before going to a hotel they went to a typical Greek restaurant. They didn’t know and they didn’t like Greek food, after dinner they were hungrier then before.
They decided to spend that night on the beach because it was too late to look for a hotel. While they were walking to the beach they saw lots of fruit-trees and stole some fruit.
As soon as they heard the steps of someone who was arriving they ran away thinking they had seen them while they were stealing.
They arrived very tired at the beach, left their rucksacks, took off their clothes and had a swim.
After an hour spent playing in the sea and having fun they fell asleep. In the morning they went to a local market and had breakfast. But they didn’t know how keep on their holiday.
The Swedish story.
Trying coming up with something to do, the four friends walked on the beach looking out over the sea. Suddenly a young girl turned up. She was wearing a black cloak and looked a bit mysterious.
- Hello, do you want to buy a necklace amulet for safety? She asked with a resounding voice.
The girl looked rather poor and quite worn out, so the friends decided to buy the amulet so the girl could buy something to eat. It was a beautiful thing; there was a red stone in the middle of the necklace that sparkled in the sun. Amalia put the necklace on her neck and they walked further, until they stopped again. It was a lovely day and people began to come to the beach to spend their day there. They took off their clothes and had a swim.
After a while they recognized that they were far away from the beach. The people looked like small dolls.
They all became pretty scared when they saw the dark clouds on the sky. Quickly they swam to nearest cliff and found a little cave in the rock.
Everyone crept in, even if it was a small and dark place. Outside the rain
started to fall like a whole waterfall.
- I’m glad we reached this cave, Francesco said.
A thunder roared outside and the friends jumped up.
- Help! Ulrika screamed.
- Don’t worry, Aakan said. It’s just a thunderstorm. But his voice sounded scared. How were they meant to do to reach the mainland again? What if the thunderstorm went on all day?
- Brrr, Amalia said. It’s rather cold in this cave, and we only have our swimming suits on.
They all sat there in the dark cave and looked out, on the falling rain.
They were lucky because the weather in Greece is not very cold, even when it’s storm. After a couple of hours the sky began to become blue, but the rain was still falling, but just a little. Amalia was the first one to creep out of the cave. The wind swept on her cheek and made the stink of the cave to a memory.
- Come out here, she called on her friends. It’s wonderful here!
Then, suddenly, she heard a shrill scream. Without thinking twice about it, Amalia ran towards the scream. Her friends followed her.
- What’s going on? Ulrika asked while she was running.
- I don’t know, Francesco answered.
They had run to the highest cliff of the little island. A small olive grove grow on the top, slowly swaying in the wind.
- Who screamed, Amalia asked and looked around. There’s no one here!
A big wind suddenly seized them all. Everything rotated. The wind stopped and the friends bumped down in a heap. Ulrika was the first one to get up and look around. She took a deep breath.
They have been moved to the Antique Greece!
The portugese story.
They looked around, very confused. They didn’t know what to do, what to think, they simply didn’t know.
Suddenly, they started to hear lots of horses.
- “It’s the Greek Army!”, said Margherita.
- “Impossible, you must be ...”
And all of a sudden a voice interrupted Amália’s sentence.
- “Foreigners”, said a soldier in a shining armour. “Come with us, Agamemnon wants you!”
The four friends were surprised and very afraid, yet they didn’t say anything and went along with the soldiers. They walked and walked.
- “Where are they taking us?”, asked Francesco.
- “I have no idea”, mumbled Ulrika.
After sometime walking the guard shouted: “Stop. We’ll now enter Agamemnon’s territory, all men on foot.”
So they left the horses and guided our friends to a huge palace. There was a path made out of rocks, surrounded by a beautiful garden with huge trees, millions of flowers, and a lake. The size of it was incredible.
By the time they got to the entrance they were exhausted. So they waited there for a while.
- “Who is this Agamemnon?”, asked Margherita.
- “I don’t know”, answered Aakan, “but he must be some kind of king, or something like that.”
- “Maybe he is an emperor!”, replied Ulrika with a curious look on her face.
They kept talking till finally the door opened in a screaming sound.
- “Devils of the soft armour”, said a little man with long blond hair. “You are here to be hunted by me. The GREAT Agamemnon.”
The group of friends were amazed by what they thought to be an amazing warrior and at the same time they were scared to death. All of that seemed impossible.
- “Nooo ... I don’t want to die”, said Francesco as he got off the entrance and ran to the garden. All the others stood still, as they saw Agamemnon picking a bow and an arrow. He shot Francesco while he was running.
- “Oh my god! He killed Francesco”, said Amália.
They all screamed in panic. That was not definitively supposed to be happening.
- “Why are you doing this?”, asked Ulrika.
- “I am going to hunt you all, me, the GREAT Agamemnon”, said the little man. “Run now or I’ll kill you right here.
They all started to run, screaming, except for Ulrika. She stood still, paralysed with fear. She could only shake, her eyes opened widely as Agamemnon picked a sword from a guard and said “You will die!”. And so he killed Ulrika.
The rest of the group was already in the garden. Agamemnon ran fiercely, into their direction, with a sword in his hand and a raging look in his face.
He hunted down all of them, except for Luís.
- “I have to keep running”, said Luís, huffing and puffing. “But I can’t, I can’t anymore ...“
Lacking strength he stopped running and fell in the ground exhausted. His thoughts were to the others, where would they be, and he closed his eyes. He stood quiet for a while but suddenly he heard a noise. His eyes opened in a flash but he couldn’t move, he was paralysed by fear.
Agamemnon had placed the sword in his throat.
- “Why are you doing this?”, asked Luís.
- “I enjoy a good hunt”, answered Agamemnon, “and now for the killing of the best prey, YOU!”
Luís closed his eyes waiting for the inevitable. What was happening? He waited and waited. Suddenly he heard a voice but he didn’t understand what the voice was saying. It sounded like ...
- “Wake up!”
Luís opened his eyes.
- “Aleluia”, said Francesco, “when you sleep you look like a rock. We couldn’t wake you up.”
- “Where is Agamemnon?” Where is Greece?”, asked Luís very confused.
- “Man, we are at the airport and thanks to you we lost the 4:30 p.m. plane to Greece”, said Aakan.
- “Rome? We are still in Rome?”, Luís was perplexed.
Yes, it was true, his friends were all there. “That means I was asleep”, said Luís, “it was only a dream.”
- “What?”, asked Amália.
- “Never mind”, answered Luís. “Let’s eat something.”
And so these friends went for a grub and had a great time while waiting for the next plane to Greece.